Merit Officer (Patrolman) Hiring Process
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- Must have eyesight correctable to 20/50.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Indiana driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be a resident of Wayne County within 90 days of appointment.
- Must never have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- Must have no involvement with illegal drugs & pass a drug screen.
- If you are not currently an accredited law enforcement officer, you must be able to meet the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic physical exit standards during the agility test phase of the selection process.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Applicants for Merit Patrol positions must apply through Empco
- If you are an accredited Police Officer through ILEA or another like agency, you should use our Online application instead of going through Empco.
- Agility test
- If you have passed the Empco test or submitted your online application, you will be invited to an Agility test when we start a process.
- You must be able to meet the Exit Standards.
- An interview will be scheduled upon successful completion of the agility test.
- The processes below will occur upon successful completion of the above steps:
- Background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological examination
- Physical exam